What is Gonorrhoea?
This is a bacterial infection caused by a bacterium called gonococcus.
How is it spread?
It is passed on through vaginal, anal or oral sex.
What are the symptoms?
- 1 in 2 develop an increase in vaginal discharge
- 1 in 2 develop pain in the lower abdomen
- Pain when passing urine
- Infection of the rectum or the throat
- More than 85% will have symptoms within 10 days, most commonly discharge from the penis and pain when passing urine.
- Redness at the end of the penis
What are the Complications?
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Premature labour, ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage
- Abscesses can develop in the bartholin glands in the genital area
- Inflammation of the testicles
- Risk of abscess formation in the penile glands
What is the Diagnosis?
A simple urine test.
What is the treatment for Gonorrhoea?
Antibiotics- a single antibiotic injection and a single antibiotic tablet.
A repeat test after treatment is strongly recommended.