Many people believe that a condom offers all the protection they need against STDs and STIs, but this is not always the case and it is vital to educate yourself about this. Condoms are a barrier method of contraception, working to prevent the sharing of body fluids. However, many STDs are spread in other ways, and this means that you are still at risk, even if you are using a condom.
Check whether the condoms you are using are designed to protect against STDs, as some, especially natural condoms, are not. Don’t just assume that you are safe, however, as the following STDs may all be contracted during sexual contact while using a condom:
- HPV. HPV is a common STD that is often misunderstood, since there are more than 100 different strains of the virus and some have no symptoms. Genital warts, which result from some strains of HPV, can be spread via di-rect sexual contact even if using a condom.
- Herpes. Herpes, both oral and genital, can be spread during sexual contact, and wearing a condom will not prevent this since the affected areas will not be covered. These viruses will remain in the system for life, so prevention is very important here!
- Crabs. Crabs, or pubic lice, live in the pubic hair. Since this is not covered by a condom, it is very easy for intimate partners to catch from one another.
- Syphilis. Many people will be aware of famous historical figures who were affected by syphilis, but most do not know that it is spread by sores in genital areas that can be passed on to sexual partners even if a condom is used.
- Molluscum Contagiosum. Molluscum contagiosum is not just an STD but can appear anywhere on the body and looks like small raised bumps. If these develop on the genitals, they can be passed on to a sexual partner whether a condom is used or not.
Wearing a condom is, of course, an important way to protect yourself against many STDs, and using a condom during oral sex as well as penetration can help to keep you safer. However, it is also vital to safeguard your health by knowing if your partner has an STD. The best way to do this is to take an STD test, and you can order a Advanced STD Kit online to do so together in the privacy of your own home.
Find Out If You Have An STD With An Online STD Test
You can trust STDcheck to provide a discreet, professional STD test in our accredited laboratory. Simply send in your samples by post, and your accurate results will be quickly delivered to your secure online account. We are registered doctors, so we can also provide advice and treatment for any positive results. Find out more on our website, or order your STD kit online today.